Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Spiritual Journey Of Healing and Weight Loss

For me this journey of weight loss is much more than a physical battle. After years of trying to find the right nutrition plan and workout routine I have finally surrendered. I have surrendered my way of thinking and doing things in order to fulfill the spiritual journey God has called me to walk.

It has nothing to do with releasing fat. It has everything to do with learning about who I am and how this spiritual world works. We often say that we need to find a balance between our body, mind and soul. What does that truly mean?

How can we take care of one and neglect the others? That is really not possible. Even if we managed to achieve a physical weight loss what condition is our spirit in? What condition is our mind in? What is really going on in our bodies?

Without getting too much into the science of weight loss and getting lost in the superficial let me try to explain something. We often cause more harm than good to our bodies when we put certain foods in them. Many of us are carrying around diseases in our bodies caused my inflammation. When the body is trying to attack something it doesn't want or recognize it becomes inflamed.

What happens is that many of us are truly not in tuned with our bodies and we shut off the sensors or voice inside of us that tell us what we should and shouldn't be eating. In the case of emotional eating we let our emotions speak louder than our hearts. In the case of diets we let our mapped out eating plan speak over our bodies true nutrition needs.

Everybody's needs are different. Our bodies are the best indicators of what is best for us not a diet book or nutritionist. Don't get me wrong I understand that many books and nutritionist often point us in the right direction but yet and still we must learn to listen to our bodies. God designed us in such a manner that we can heal ourselves. The issue comes in when we neglect that very voice that was designed to be our indicator. That little voice that says "hey I need this....my reserves our low...we are out of balance".

Now let us look at the deeper part of us. The part that is the foundation of everything we do....OUR SPIRIT! Whether some of us choose to accept it or not the truth remains the same. We are spiritual beings. That has no indication of religion. It means that we are more than this natural body. The body is only a container that holds an even greater treasure and miracle.

So neglecting that source of our existence is like trying to drive a car without a key. We can't really get anywhere. Sure we can push the car and get it moving but our actions will be labored. That is a place that many of us are in. We are trying to push that car using our own strength instead of tapping into our true source of power. This has lead many of us to become frustrated, depressed, anxious, desperate and ready to quit.

Like I said even if we achieve a weight loss pushing the car around on our own we are not truly balanced. We have neglected to take care of our spirit and so we are still left feeling tired, uninspired, depleted, depressed and insecure. This has lead many people to regain their weight or still struggle with emotions they never truly addressed.

Many of us are not overweight or sick because we love food and hate to exercise. Some of us are carrying around the weight of our emotions from past pains and experiences. We are holding onto years of fears, doubts, disappointments, anger and insecurities. We haven't let go of the weight because we haven't let go of the emotions that caused us to gain the weight in the first place.

We haven't healed from the wounds that caused us to eat emotionally or hate our bodies. Many of us dream of having a body that we love. One that we can be proud of looking in the mirror and seeing a reflection of. We have placed such a huge emphasis on the outer appearance but never fully addressed the inside turmoil.

We must learn how to first love our bodies. Love the part of us that we can not see. Love ourselves enough to heal our bodies through proper nutrition and exercise. Loving our bodies for what they look like is a false sense of confidence that will be challenged with every pound you gain. Loving your body because you know who you are beneath the layers of this superficial image is true confidence.

When you understand the beauty of who you are and what you are you will be more inspired to feed your body what it needs and not what you think it needs. You will begin to heal the relationship you have with your body and stop punishing it. You will stop neglecting it and forcing it to do things it doesn't want to do.

It is easy to get caught up in what society says is perfect and beautiful. It's easy to get sucked into believing that you are not worthy of love when you don't fit into the "ideal" body image. It's easy to be persuaded into believing that you are not worthy when someone you love has rejected or hurt you.

We allow the external things to define the internal things. We have allowed others to define us and mold us into what we think they want us to be. We so desperately seek to be loved, accepted and validated by others that we will compromise who we are to gain even an ounce of attention. We think we need others to make us feel significant in life.

We have lost our sense of self acceptance. We have lost our identity behind layers of guilt and shame. We have forgotten who we are beneath what the eyes can see. We have somehow numbed ourselves from feeling anything anymore. We move through life just trying to survive and not die from the pain of our past.

I have been there. I understand the pain, the numbness and the shame. I understand how it is to not even want to look at yourself in the mirror because you hate how you look. I know what it is to hurt so bad that you don't even want to wake up anymore. I know how it feels to be so tired of being miserable that you are willing to do what ever it takes to heal. I am there.

I can no longer put on a mask and try to hide from the truth. I can no longer be someone I am not. I am ready to fully heal. I am ready to fully awaken to my true self. I am ready to accept the power and destiny that God has called me to walk in. I am ready to free.

After years of recycling through emotions and pains I am finally ready to release them. My body has been screaming. My soul has been crying and my mind is tired. There are thing hidden so deep within me that I haven't even touched yet. Pains hidden so deep within that only the hands of God can reach.

I have decided to start a new journey. One that is not limited by time nor space. I am embarking on a new journey that will finally open up parts of me that I never knew existed.

"But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him."
1 Corinthians 2:9
I am seeking God. Consecrating myself in this sacred place. Allowing His living water....purifying word...to heal me. My mind, soul and body are dedicated to His service. I am preparing myself to walk in the fullness of what HE has prepared for me. This is no longer about my own selfish needs. This is about Him being glorified through me.

My body is His temple so I will worship Him. I will humble myself and seek His kingdom. I will glorify Him because He is King. He is the source of my existence therefore I fully surrender myself to Him.

"......In Him I live, move and have my being......."
Acts 17:28

5 comments:

  1. I can wholly related to everything that you've written here. I think we have shared this journey, even across space and in different bodies. It's amazing how God leads His children in the same direction, through the "Valley of the Shadow" in the process of healing. But in the end we find a wholeness that no diet can provide.

    - Rachel Marley Himes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. We are one in God so many of us often travel the same roads ultimately all leading back to the same truth which only is found in God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this post. I'm going through major emotional and spiritual struggles and I KNOW that dealing with them and facing the issues is KEY to getting healthy. It's not just about getting the weight off - it's about becoming wholly healthy - emotionally, spiritually, and physically. And it is a journey - it is a marathon, not a sprint! I appreciate your page on facebook - thanks for your inspiration!

    Sherri
    My Journey to Whole Healthy by God's Strength Phil 4:13 (facebook page)
    www.sherriadelman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherri- What has helped me is knowing that my story is God's. When I began to detach myself from the circumstances and stopped defining myself by the pain I started healing. Many times we define ourselves by the things we have gone through. We then become limited by them as we have forced ourselves to be conformed. We force ourselves to fit in a mold that God didn't create us for. He is the potter. He is the one that shapes us and molds us according to His will so that we can walk in the fullness of His glory. We must allow His word...His truth to transform us as we renew our minds...and awaken to our true identity in Him.

    I pray for your awakening. That you may be released from the things that bind you. That you would walk in the freedom of knowing you are God's beloved.

    Thank you for reading. :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following my journey and showing your love and support!