Thursday, November 8, 2012

WILL POWER

It's not about WILLPOWER it's about DISCIPLINE.

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."
 Hebrews 12:11

Discipline: training to ensure proper behavior: the practice or methods of teaching and enforcing acceptable patterns of behavior, order and control: a controlled orderly state, calm control behavior.

The most commonly used word I often hear people use when it comes to living a healthier lifestyle is "WILLPOWER". People associate that word with their own power to do something or stick to a regimen. While it's true that you must have self discipline it's important to understand where that power comes from.

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

It's not about your abilities but rather your willingness to lean on God and use His strength to power you through. It is about learning to follow a pattern day after day until you reach your desired destination. It's about teaching yourself to only do those things that serve a purpose.

Overeating does not serve your desire to lose weight or become healthy. Overspending does not serve your desire to buy a house or save for college. Understanding your purpose and creating a plan to achieve it will ensure you are moving in the right direction.

You must also know that you are never alone during your times of temptation. It's important to dig deep within yourself and root yourself in truth. Sure it's tough to lose weight but only because there are challenges. You have to often go against things that have been ingrained in you for so long.

Habits form over time. So your once overeating tendency must be uprooted and replaced with healthy habits. Making preparations to ensure your success is what will help you overcome many of the challenges that come before you. You must also remember that what is within you is greater than anything that can come against you.

We wrestle not against flesh and blood but against thoughts (Ephesians 6:12). Our challenges are often associated with old patterns and ways of thinking. We are not fighting against fat and food addictions. We are fighting against addictive behaviors and negative thoughts.

Like I have mentioned before this is way more than just about food and fitness. It goes deeper than the calories you burn versus the calories you eat. If it were that simple everyone would be in great shape. My belief is that our minds are our biggest tools in achieving success. Not just with weight loss but in achieving our goals in life.

We have to learn to discipline our minds and stand on the truths that God has promised us. We have to become one in mind, body and spirit. You can't expect your body to do something your mind won't do. Your body can't be disciplined until your mind is. It all works together in perfect order.

"I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should...." 1 Corinthians 9:27

So essentially your ability to achieve your goals and fulfill your dreams lies in your ability to go beyond what you feel and do what you know. You can't function between fear and faith. I know I will be successful but I can't reach that place of success in my life until I let go of fear and move towards faith.

Getting through those fears and lies often takes a great amount of endurance as you experience a lot of pain. I had to confront so many issues in my life to get to where I am today. Although I haven't reached many of my goals yet I am confident that the work God started in me He will finish (Philippians 1:6).

There were days when I didn't want to keep going. I would have rather settled for where I was than continue to experience growing pains. I was so afraid to step out of my little box. I was afraid to spread my wings and fly.

One day the fear of not reaching my potential and manifesting my calling became stronger than my fear of failing. I knew that I couldn't fail at something that God had already ordained. Imagine going to a bank and being preapproved to buy a house. That is how I feel now.

I know that God has already preapproved me. He has already gone before me and made a way. He has already established my footsteps. The only thing I have to do is move by faith. I have to trust that no matter how painful or uncertain the process can be at times I will achieve everything He has created me for.

Every step I take I am sowing a seed into my harvest. I can walk in peace knowing that God is in control. My disciplined and controlled mind can now perceive the future because I have removed the garbage that once clouded my it. Just like training your muscle to do a certain thing. Before you attempt it you might be doubtful that you can achieve it but after conditioning it and disciplining it your impossible is possible.

You then gain a confidence in yourself and attempt to do more and more things that at once seemed impossible. You no longer struggle to believe in your abilities because you understand who you are and what you can do. You rest in the truth that WITH God all things are possible.

When you are willing to trust in God....He WILL give you the POWER to achieve what He has called you to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following my journey and showing your love and support!