Thursday, October 11, 2012

Where Do I Start?

I get saddened when I hear people say that they are discouraged about trying to lose weight. They often get overwhelmed with the thoughts of taking on a whole new world they are not familiar with. They sometimes settle with where they are because they are afraid of trying something new or stepping out of their comfort zone.

When I first decided to make some healthy changes in my life I remember how I felt. I was definitely a little scared to step out of my house. I had lived in a nice little bubble of mediocrity and the thought of popping it made me feel insecure about myself.

I prayed and asked God to direct my path. I asked for Him to teach me and show me what was best for my body. After all He knows what's best for me because He designed me. While there are many diet plans and workout plans out there I didn't want to get stuck doing something that was not for me. I believe that everyone's bodies and needs are different.

In my opinion this journey is much more about a spiritual journey than many realize. Many of us don't struggle with weight issues because we are obsessed with foods and are lazy. We have internal struggles that cause us to use food as therapy. I know that was my case. So since I have emotional issues the same diet plan that works for you might not work for me.

It's kind of like when people tell you not to take someone else's prescription medication. While it may treat the illness the same it is not prescribed to you. Taking the medication can have a different affect on you than it does your friend. With that being said I believe the first step to losing weight and transforming your body starts from within.

There are mental issues we often have to confront and deal with. Losing weight won't take care of your depression, poor self image or marriage. Come on let's be real with ourselves. While feeling good might make us feel better about ourselves it is only a band aid in comparison to knowing your true worth at the depth of your core.

Understanding who we are will help heal many of the emotional issues we have. We are not defined by the labels we place on ourselves. We are not defined by our relationships, social status, education, past or anything we posses. We are much more than a number on a scale and pant size. Our worth is not defined by whether or not you can wear a bikini or flex a huge muscle.

Who we are remains after we strip away all the layers. It is what keeps us floating when the ship feels like it's sinking. It is what keeps us hopeful when everything seems to be up in chaos. It is the peace in the midst of the storm. Who we are can not be defined.

If we can not be defined then we have no limits. The minute we define ourselves with labels we limit ourselves. We can only go as far as our mind can take us. So if we have placed stereotypes and limitations on ourselves we can't even reach our highest potential.

Stripping away the layers of perceived limitations and labels helps us expand our minds. It helps our inner being shine and illuminate our true path...the path that leads to all things marvelous. Of course we may be confronted with things that challenge us but we know we can face them and overcome them.

We were not just created to live. We were created to prosper and succeed. That doesn't mean that you will attempt a thing and fail. That means that what ever you put your heart into and discipline your mind to achieve you can do and will do. You just have to believe in yourself. Believe in your ability to do what others may think is impossible.

My daughter challenged me the other day to look outside of my little box. I have limited my own potential because I have tried to define myself by what others think is acceptable and possible. I haven't tapped into my true potential and reached my goals because I get discouraged. When something doesn't go how I want it to I tend to give up.

I guess part of me feels that maybe I can't ever achieve the success I want. Or maybe I have defined myself by my perceived failures and haven't stripped away those labels. I have to detach myself from the thoughts that say I can't and never will and remember who I am.

I was looking at myself in the mirror the other day and said "God I don't like the image I see". He said "you need to see yourself in my image". Wow! What a powerful revelation. We often look at ourselves and see what we think others see. We judge ourselves because we look at our "flaws". We judge ourselves by the things we have endured in our past. We see ourselves through eyes of pain, rejection, shame and disappointment.

God sees us through the eyes of love. When He looks at you He sees a perfect being. He sees the marvelous and fearful work He created. He sees the strength within us. He sees unlimited power and potential.

God wants us to see ourselves the way He sees us. When you can look at yourself in that manner then you will unlock every possibility in your life. You will not allow the past to define you. You will not be limited by stereotypes and perceived limitations. You will have the power and passion to pursue your dreams and fulfill your destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following my journey and showing your love and support!