Friday, August 24, 2012

Diet Food

One of the things that really bothers me the most about diets is the concept that you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calorie range. Well most of us don't know what our calorie range is. Many think the less they eat the more weight they will lose. Then you have others that think that they can eat processed prepackaged diet foods like Lean Cuisines, Low Fat or Reduced Fat crackers and cookies.

I am not really mad at the people that eat them because most are unaware and uneducated when it comes to proper nutrition. It's no surprise that many are walking around with the illusion that eating this way will help them achieve their dream physique.

Billions are spent on advertising this food as the end all to the battle of the bulge. We are manipulated into believing that eating a magic energy bar, taking a diet pill and drastically limiting our calories is what it takes to reach our desired destination. So companies scramble to come up with new and improved ways to get you there.

If they can paint the illusion that you will lose weight fast and get into that bikini by summer you will fork over your hard earned cash to see it happen. What's really sad is that we are uneducated consumers and with all our good intentions we buy into the mumbo jumbo.

We buy into the fad diets, prepackaged processed diet foods, and magic potions. Although many of us will achieve results many underlying issues are involved. For one eating in this manner will not make us healthy. If skinny is your desired goal then go ahead and buy into the illusion. If being healthy and fit is your goal then walk away fast.

Not only will these diets deliver temporary results but they will also wreck havoc on your body. Without getting too much into the details many of these foods and diets pills contain harmful chemicals that can have a drastic affect on your health. Why are we eating "food" with chemicals that we can't even pronounce? How many of us know that those chemicals are also found in household cleaning products, cosmetics and other industrial products. Why on Earth would you want to put that into your body?

Restricting calories can get you skinny but it won't get you fit. Have you ever heard of skinny fat? Yep that is what happens when you drastically reduce your calories. Your body will let go of muscle before it releases fat. That leaves you with a saggy skinny physique. You might be able to fit into a size 6 but don't even think of putting on a bathing suit.

Muscle require more calories to sustain so in order for the body to survive on the limited calories it lets go of this calorie guzzler. BUT on the flip side the more lean muscle mass you have on your body the more calories you burn. That is why it is important to eat enough healthy calories and incorporate resistance training into your weight loss program. This will ultimately give you the lean fit physique many of us strive to have.

I don't think I need to spend much time trying to convince you why diet pills and potions are wrong. Many of us know they have risks but still we buy them. Why? Because we are looking for quick fixes. I know I have been there. I have taken diet pills and drank magic potions in the hopes of dropping weight. I experienced horrible things after consuming them to the point where I felt I was on the verge of death.

I write all this to say that in order to achieve a healthy life long weight loss we can't depend on the weight loss industry to help us. We have to become educated consumers. We have to research what those difficult to pronounce chemicals are in your Low Fat Campbell's soup. I know that packaged foods are convenient but in reality they are also lazy. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes here but I am trying to get you to understand something.

Being healthy is work. You can't expect to fly by eating crap disguised as health food. You have to take the time to prepare your own meals. I am a single working mom. I don't have millions of dollars (yet;) stacked up in my bank account. I do what I can with what I have. Whether it be with a limited budget or a limited schedule.

I make the time to get healthy. If it means I have to get up off the couch and get in the kitchen to prepare my meals for the week on my off day then I do it. If it means getting up 30 minutes earlier to prepare my lunch for work then I make it happen. Convenience won't get you anywhere except for sick and overweight.

Yep I said it! In order to nail down this healthy lifestyle you have to be honest with yourself. Do you think those people you google over in the fitness magazines got that way from sitting on the couch wishing or eating Lean Cuisines? NOPE! And you aren't going to get there either.

If you really want to achieve a healthy fit body you have to put in the work and the effort. It won't always be easy and it won't always be what you want to do but believe me that it will be worth it. If you commit yourself to being consistent then one day it will all be second nature to you. You will glide through it with ease and enjoy doing it.

I often thank God for my healthy lifestyle and for the dedication that it takes to be healthy and fit. I may not be at my goal weight yet or have the body I aspire to have but everyday I try my best to put in the effort to get there. I enjoy eating healthy and making my meals. I love going for a long run and releasing my fears with every step I take.

It is a journey. One worth taking. The first step in the journey is realizing that you are worth it. Knowing that you are worth the effort it takes to prepare your own meals and exercise will help in keeping you committed. For me I thought it was selfish to make time for myself. I thought I was taking time away from my daughter. In reality I was giving her time because I was adding years to my life. Taking 1 hour to workout or prepare your meals can add years to your life. Not only in quantity but in quality.

Another excuse that many people use when it comes to healthy food is "I might as well eat what I want because I am going to die one day anyways". Sure, we are all going to die one day. Even the healthiest person has his/her day. But it's all about the quality of life that you are adding to your living days. Are you struggling with heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, cancer, diabetes or another life altering diseases?

You don't have to live that way. I would rather have 10 years of healthy vibrant life than 20 of debilitating disease. It's about adding life to your years not just years to your life. Everyone will have their day but why not make the most of the days you do have on this Earth. Why not live your healthiest best life? That is what you were created to do.....live an abundant life.

So what is keeping you from being your best? From living healthy? From being happy? From loving yourself enough to make a change? I am here for you. Let me know if I can assist you in starting that journey. You are only a step away from living your best life. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following my journey and showing your love and support!